Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

First Birthday Party

Tyler's First Birthday PartyDo I have to have a hat?
I don't need a hat!
Last Saturday we celebrated Tyler's first birthday with a party. What a great celebration we had. The theme was barnyard/farm. We chose this because it what his nursery has been decorated as since he was born and it just seemed appropriate. We ordered 25 barnyard invitations and sent them all out. I never thought I would have had a guest list pushing 50 people for a first birthday, but it happened! We ended up having 26 family and friends here for the celebration!
Grandma Betsy
Grandpa John
Grandpa Jerry and Grandma Judy
Great-Grandpa Elton and Mongo (Great-Grandma Elaine was there in spirit! We miss you!)
Rose, Tom, Mongo and Grandpa Jerry
Great-Grandpa Ocky and Lila
Kisses from Great-Aunt Mollie
Uncle Matt
Cousin Chance

Showing Emma where the toys are! Follow me!!!
More play time with Emma! We're playing with my new phone!
My buddy Keaton and Ashlea

About two weeks before the party I went to a local bakery to order a barnyard/farm cake. Upon walking in I was asked what date we needed the cake for and was told that they were booked. I was shocked! All I wanted was a cake. I was referred to another bakery and got the same answer there. I went to a third bakery in town and was quoted $285 for a two tiered round cake for 30 people. WHAT? That's more than our wedding cake was! So I began searching for other bakeries nearby that might be able to create something special for a reasonable price. I ended up ordering a cake from Becker's Bakery in Manhattan Beach. Yes, I drove an hour each way for my child's first birthday cake and I wouldn't change a thing! Like I said, I went crazy with his first birthday.
The cake I drove an hour for!
Another look!
So my parents, Tyler and I drove down on Friday. We had a nice lunch at a little cafe that looked out at the ocean and then picked up the cake. We gave Tyler a mini cupcake in his stroller as a preview of what's to come. He loved it!
Trial mini-cupcake on Friday
Smash cake before
Even Mongo wanted a part of that cake!
Look Mom - a cake!!!
Ready to attack!
Diving in!
Yum!
Delicious!
Too much fun!
Sharing with cousin Chance.
Smash cake after!

Back to the party - we decided to have Mexican food since it is Tyler's favorite. You've never seen a child eat black beans the way Tyler does! We ordered them from his favorite place, Chronic Tacos. Collin cooked 16 lbs. of carne asada from Vallarta market. We had a TON of food, but it was all very tasty! (I'll have to find some pictures of the table. I'm sure someone took some!)

We also had a bounce house in the backyard thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Schoenfeld! What a fun birthday gift. (Again, I know we have video but do we have pictures? I'll have to ask around!)

Tyler was so lucky to celebrate his day with so many friends and family. He even got to meet his Great-Grandfather Ocky for the first time. All in all, a great, great day celebrating the joy he has brought to our lives!
Four generations of Schoenfeld boys!

Everyone crashed that night. The next morning Tyler, Collin, my parents, and Collin's parents were headed to Disneyland. Here is how we looked that next morning!
The morning after - Tyler and Aunt Emily
Trying to get both boys to take a picture together the morning after. The best we got!

1 comment:

Erica said...

Aww it looks like you had such a good time! The cake is totally adorable I agree :) I like all the pics of Tyler with his cute little buddies. Thanks for sharing!